Errant bottle rocket starts fire in Luling home’s attic

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, January 12, 2000

LEONARD GRAY / L’Observateur / January 12, 2000

LULING – A wayward bottle rocket resulted in the destruction of a family’s Christmas decorations stored in their attic on Davis Street Friday night.

John Heath, public information officer for the Luling VFD, said a bottle rocket fired off at 630 p.m. landed on a roof turbine vent of the residenceof Constantine Carcabasis at 217 Davis Street.

The rocket apparently was swept into the attic, where it set fire to some stored Christmas decorations, and caused moderate damage to the house.

Heath added the resulting fire was contained within five minutes of arrival at the scene.

A total of 25 firefighters under the command of Fire Chief Ralph Champagne responded with three engines, one ladder truck and one rescue vehicle. They were assisted by firefighters from the Hahnville VFD.Capt. Patrick Yoes of the St. Charles Sheriff’s Office added that NathanAlbritton, 18, 218 Davis Street, was issued a misdemeanor summons for the incident.

Champagne commented, “The public needs to be reminded how dangerous fireworks are and that once you fire these airborne items, you do not know where they will land.”He continued, “Fireworks start numerous fires every year and should be used under adult supervision and in areas away from homes and other structures.”

Return To News Stories