Wildcats open district with win over Tigers

Published 12:00 am Monday, October 11, 1999

RANDY SMITH / L’Observateur / October 11, 1999

ST. JAMES – It was not a pretty sight for Donaldsonville Friday night onthe west bank of St. James Parish as St. James blanked their district 10-3A rivals, 27-0.

The outcome was not a big surprise since St. James came to the game witha 4-1 record this season compared to a 1-4 season so far by Donaldsonville. The outcome was also no great surprise sinceDonaldsonville has failed to defeat the Wildcats since 1991.

Rain blanketed the field, the stands the players and the stalwart fans throughout the first half. This made for sloppy football and offensivenightmares with dropped passes, slips and fumbles common for both sides.

The first score of the game came late in the first quarter during St.

James’ third series of the game. The drive started poorly for quarterbackCorey Webster who was sacked and found himself facing a second-and-16 situation. After a 6-yard gain by running back Leslie Aubert, Websterhanded the ball to Devon Dabney who ran the ball to the 7-yard line. On thenext play Dabney grabbed the last 7 and the score. With 3:14 left in thequarter, it was St. James 7-0.The quarter ended 7-0 as Donaldsonville was stopped three and out.

The Wildcats’ second score of the game came late in the second quarter after a long series of running plays. Dennis carried twice for 20 yards.Webster carried six times for just over 40 yards and the score after a run by Dabney set the ball up on the 7. Alvin Bartholomew’s kick was up andgood, making the score 14-0 with 3:11 left in the half.

Donaldsonville’s Jimmy Joseph fumbled the following kickoff and gave the ball right back to St. James on the Tiger 25-yard line. But Roy McBridepicked off a Webster pass to end the drive.

Donaldsonville quarterback Terrance Brown had no better luck than Webster had. Incomplete passes and lost footing plagued the Tigers. Theywere finally forced to punt away with 23 seconds left in the half.

Donaldsonville received the opening kick to start the second half.

Gratefully, the driving rain had ended but the field was pure muck by this time. Brown’s long pass to Ronnie Jarvis was incomplete when thereceiver slipped trying to reach for the ball.

The next play ended in a big sack and loss of 13 yards by the Tigers. Atough series ended in a tough way when punter Dustin Schexnayder dropped the snap, ran in circles for a moment and managed to dribble off an 8-yard punt.

This break set the Wildcats up on the 25-yard line. Webster’s 26-yardpass to Aubert ended with the third touchdown of the night and a score of 21-0.

The final score came with 4:11 left in the game following a series of short gain runs by Aubert. The final was a 12-yard trot into the end zone.This time, however, the kick was blocked and the score remained 27-0.

Webster was the offensive star of the game with 19 carries for 114 yards rushing and 26 yards gained on passes.

St. James travels to St. Charles Catholic next Friday.

Return To Sports Stories

Copyright © 1998, Wick Communications, Inc.

Internet services provided by NeoSoft.

Best viewed with 3.0 or higher