Lawless decks St. Charles in afternoon game

Published 12:00 am Sunday, September 19, 1999

LEONARD GRAY / L’Observateur / September 19, 1999

NEW ORLEANS – The St. Charles Catholic Comets crumbled 28-7 beneaththe heels of the Lawless Pythians Friday afternoon in City Park’s Pan American Stadium.

The Comets’ only score came late in the game, as Anthony Jacob boomed in the ball from 1 yard out.

On the Pythians’ side, quarterback Ronnie Banks kept St. Charles’s defenseoverworked, while the Pythian defense kept the Comets to a game total of minus 37 yards rushing.

To the Comets’ credit, the St. Charles defense did a powerhouse job inkeeping Lawless to a net 4 yards gained rushing.

St. Charles took the opening kickoff at its own 24 and approached midfieldbefore having to punt to the Phythians’ 32-yard line. Despite Banks’ longpasses, he only managed to complete four of 27 attempts. However, thosefour were for long yardage.

Lawless’s first drive took them from their own 32 to the Comet 37 before punting away. On the third play from scrimmage, with 5:20 on the firstquarter clock, Romalis Jackson snared a Jason Waguespack pass and romped downfield for the opening score. A two-point conversion pass toGlenn Smith gave the Pythians an 8-0 lead.

St. Charles took its kickoff at its own 29 and advanced the ball only twoyards before punting to the Lawless 34-yard line. Lawless got nowherefast and soon punted back, but the punted ball was fumbled and recovered at the St. Charles’ 29.Two plays later, Rondell Lewis intercepted for the Pythians, however a face-mask call set the ball at the St. Charles 44-yard line, ending thefirst quarter.

The Comets attempted to fake a punt at the end of their next possession but the trick failed to work and Lawless took over on downs. The nextPythian series accomplished little, and the Comets soon reassumed possession at the Lawless 32-yard line.

Three plays later, Lantz Mathers intercepted for the Pythians and rambled 72 yards for a touchdown with 8:08 on the second quarter clock. A two-point conversion run by Chad Pinkney was good for the 16-0 Lawless lead.

St. Charles again accepted the kickoff, again moved little and againpunted, this time to the Lawless 37-yard line. Two plays later, a passfrom Banks to Earl Peters connected for another Pythian touchdown with 5:57 remaining to the first half. A two-point conversion run attempt wasblocked, but the Pythians sat on a comfortable 22-0 lead.

The Comets gained little on their next possession, same as the Pythians.

Again, the Comets had the ball, gave up possession on a punt to the Lawless 32-yard line. Two plays later, a Banks pass to Terrence Smothersconnected with 45 seconds left in the first half for yet another TD. A two-point conversion attempt failed, but the Pythians sat on a comfy 28-0 lead.

The third quarter was highlighted by an interception by Chris Martin for the Comets with 9:20 remaining, stalling the Pythians’ first drive of the period. That interception placed St. Charles at midfield and, with NickMonica at the helm, the Comets crept downfield in a time-consuming drive to the Lawless 5.

There, St. Charles ran out of downs and Lawless took over to eat up therest of the quarter.

The final quarter saw Lawless in possession but little was gained by either team in ball exchanges. Finally, with 7:47 on the clock, Lawlesspunted to the Comets at the Pythians’ 45-yard line. Again, with Monica inthe hot seat, three passes, including a 35-yard completion to Toby Jacob to the 1-yard stripe, set up the TD play.

With 4:56 remaining in the game Anthony Jacob plunged over the line for the only St. Charles score. Jason Waguespack’s PAT kick put the Comets onthe board, trailing 28-7.

St. Charles tried an onside kickoff but possession was handed to thePythians, even though the loose ball was snagged by James Cupit. Refereesruled the ball never touched the ground and Lawless had no opportunity to catch the ball.

The Pythians chewed up the next two minutes of play before punting to the Comets, who struggled to wrap up the game.

Finally, with 47 seconds left, a loose ball was recovered by Lawless tackle Vernon Freeman, who downed the ball at midfield.

The Comets led 9-8 on first downs and trailed 273 to 209 in net passing yards gained. Lawless sustained nine penalties for a loss of 69 yards,while St. Charles had but one 5-yard penalty.

Return To Sports Stories

Copyright © 1998, Wick Communications, Inc.

Internet services provided by NeoSoft.

Best viewed with 3.0 or higher