Fontainebleau eliminates Lady Tigers from playoffs

Published 12:00 am Monday, February 15, 1999

MICHAEL KIRAL / L’Observateur / Febuary 15, 1999

BOUTTE – Robin Broussard and Carly Hotard had two goals apiece as Fontainebleau eliminated Hahnville from the girls’ Division I bi-district soccer playoffs with a 5-3 victory Wednesday evening at Hahnville’s Tiger Stadium.

Fontainebleau (14-6-1) advanced to play the winner of the Mandeville- Woodlawn (Baton Rouge) in the regionals. Hahnville, the District 11-Ichampionships, finished its season at 12-10-1.

The Lady Bulldogs, the District 10 runners-up, controlled the first 40 minutes of play. Three minutes into the contest, Hotard took a shot on goalfrom the left side but had it grabbed by a Hahnville goalie Jennifer Hicks.

Five minutes later, Jessie Hotard’s header off a centering pass from Broussard sailed over the net. Tessa Izdepski then centered a pass toCandice O’Meallie which also sailed high.

At the 14-minute mark, Carly Hotard took a centering pass from just outside the box but had her shot sail wide left.

Hahnville’s Alyson Bordelon cleared the ball across midfield to Erin Crisham. Crisham sent the ball ahead to Tyna Wells along the left side.Wells took a shot from the left side but had it knocked away by Fontainebleau goalie Megan Grigus who dove on the ball in front of the Hahnville attack.

Fontainebleau broke onto the scoreboard on its next trip down the field.

Hotard centered a pass to Broussard from the left sideline. Broussard cutin and knocked a shot past Hicks into the left side of the net, making it 1- 0 at the 19-minute mark.

Hahnville had a chance to tie the score five minutes later as Crisham intercepted a pass near midfield and sent it ahead to Wells. Wells movedin and was tripped up just outside the box on her shot attempt. Wells wasgiven a free kick which sailed over the net, keeping the Lady Bulldogs in the lead.

Fontainebleau extended that lead on its next possession as a pass from Hotard was deflected to Broussard. Broussard tried a shot from the rightside but had it deflected by Hicks. Broussard took the rebound and knockedit into the left corner of the net, giving the Lady Bulldogs a 2-0 lead at the 27-minute mark.

Six minutes later, Wells charged into the Fontaine-bleau zone and passed ahead to Crisham whose shot from the left side went through the crease.

Wells chased down the ball in the right corner but had her shot from there hit the side of the net.

Fontainebleau got two bounces to go its way to take a 4-0 lead into halftime. First, Izdepski tried a long pass from the left side to Hotard infront of the net. Hicks came out to grab the ball but had it take a highbounce over her and into the right corner of the goal at the 36-minute mark.

Three minutes later, another centering pass hit the top bar of the net and deflected to Hotard who knocked it past Hicks at the 39-minute mark of the first half.

Fontainebleau made it 5-0 six minutes into the second half as Hotard chased down a pass from Broussard and sent it into the net.

Hahnville would come right back as Courtnie Frickey centered a pass to Crisham, got the ball back and centered a pass to Wells. Wellsimmediately put a shot on goal but had it grabbed by Grigus at the 10- minute mark. Two minutes later, Crisham moved in on a breakaway but hadher shot defended away by Grigus.

After a shot by Izdepski was grabbed by Hicks, Frickey intercepted a pass near midfield and brought it up the right sidelines. Frickey moved in andtried a shot from the right that Grigus grabbed at the 17-minute mark.

After Wells had a goal negated by an offsides call, Frickey grabbed a steal and centered a pass to Wells. Wells took a shot that skipped past Grigus infront of the net but had it knocked away by a Fontainebleau defender who tried to clear it away.

Bordelon intercepted the pass and tried a shot from the left side that sailed over Grigus into the net, cutting the deficit to 5-1 at the 21- minute mark.

The Lady Tigers kept up the attack as Wells passed ahead to Crisham at midfield. Crisham split two defenders and came in on goal but had Griguscome out of the net to grab her shot. Grigus then snared a shot by Frickeyfrom the right side. Wells followed with a shot from center that Grigusleaped to punch over the top of the goal.

On the ensuing corner kick, Bordelon centered to Wells who had her header blocked. Lindsey Yochim took the deflection and knocked it into the leftside of the net to make it 5-2 at the 31-minute mark.

Wells followed with a steal in the Fontainebleau zone and took a shot from just outside the box that sailed over Grigus into the net, bringing the Lady Tigers to within 5-3 at the 37-minute mark.

On the Lady Tigers’ next possession, Wells was fouled and awarded a free kick. Wells kicked the ball in front to Jessica Fedrick who angled a kick tothe right corner of the net but had it deflect off the right post.

“I am very pleased, we looked very good in the second half,” Hahnville coach Mendi LeBoeuf said. “I told the girls at the half we had to startgoing to the ball and being aggressive and that helped us in terms of momentum.”LeBoeuf said that even though her team lost, it was still an important game for a program in only its third year of existence.

“It proved we are ready to play with the teams on the Northshore,” LeBoeuf said. “It was a big step for us.”

Return To Sports Stories

Copyright © 1998, Wick Communications, Inc.

Internet services provided by NeoSoft.

Best viewed with 3.0 or higher