Another quick start leads St. James past Cardinals

Published 12:00 am Monday, November 23, 1998

L’Observateur / November 23, 1998

ST. JAMES – It was business as usual Friday night for the St. JamesWildcats.

A quick start, a strong defense, another victory in the bag.

The Wildcats pounced quickly in the 3-A regional playoff game against the Belle Chasse Cardinals. When the mauling was over, St. James had a 40-0victory.

As has been the case lately for the Wildcats, they made a fast start Friday night, scoring twice in the first quarter and twice in the second.

The first touchdown came on a 20-yard pass from Corey Webster to Rey Weber, and the second score of the first quarter came on a 1-yard run by Phillip Jessie. Alvin Bartholomew was successful on both extra pointattempts, and the Wildcats had a 14-0 lead.

Chad Jasmine struck paydirt for the first of three times Friday in the second quarter, carrying it in from 60-yards away. Kenny Levet scored theWildcats’ second touchdown of the second quarter, running it in from 29- yards out.

Again, Bartholomew was good with two PAT attempts, and St. James led28-0 at the half.

Jasmin scored both of the team’s touchdowns in the second half – a 7-yard run in the third quarter and a 61-yard jaunt in the fourth. Both kickattempts failed, leaving the final score at 40-0.

Jasmin led all rushers in the game, carrying the ball 11 times for 164 yards. Webster was 5-for-9 passing with one interception, and Weber hadtwo receptions for 42 yards.

The Wildcats amassed 494 total yards in the game – 335 on the ground – and held Belle Chasse to just 222 yards in total offense.

St. James is now 11-1 overall and will travel to Breaux Bridge in nextFriday’s quarterfinal round.

Belle Chasse ended its season at 7-3.

Lutcher 48, Booker T. Washington 15

NEW ORLEANS – The Lutcher Bulldogs picked off six Booker T. Washingtonpasses Friday night en route to a 48-15 3-A regional playoff victory at Pan American Stadium.

Robert Bleakley, Rodrick Johnson, Ben Martin, Bernard Riley, David Miller and Burnell Gordon each snatched Booker T. Washington passes away.It was the first time since 1995 that the Bulldogs appeared in the regional round of the high school playoffs. And they made the most of thesituation.

Booker T. Washington, which ended the season with a 5-7 record, scoredfirst in the game and led again at halftime, but Lutcher kicked it into high gear in the second half to get the big win.

Booker T.Washington took a 7-0 lead at the six-minute mark of the firstquarter when Joseph Parker caught a 30-yard scoring pass from John Carter and Byron Dunkley added the point after.

But Lutcher rallied back. With 9:20 remaining in the second quarter DamianUrsin took it in from the 1, and with 8:19 left Shane Duhe scored on a 33- yard pass from T. R. Ricks.Lane Zimmer kicked both points after, giving the Bulldogs a 14-7 lead.

But Booker T. Washington took a 15-14 lead with 43 seconds left on thehalftime clock as Willie Harris caught a 4-yard scoring strike from Carter and Parker ran it in for the two-point conversion.

After that, it was all Lutcher High School.

The Bulldogs scored four times in the third quarter. First, Wesley Louquescored on a 14-yard run (the two-point attempt failed), then Ursin scored on a 19-yard run (the two-point try failed again).

With 3:35 remaining in the third Ursin scored again, this time on an 8-yard run (he was successful on the two-point run try), and with 1:23 left in the third quarter Dustin Deslatte scored on a 2-yard run.

Zimmer’s kick was good, and the Bulldogs led 41-15.

Whitney Hines scored the final touchdown of the game – with 2:12 remaining in the fourth quarter – on a 32-yard pass from Risley St.

Germain. Zimmer’s kick made it a 48-15 game.The Bulldogs improved to 10-2 on the season. They will travel toWashington-Marion next Friday in the quarterfinal round.

Return To Sports Stories

Copyright © 1998, Wick Communications, Inc.

Internet services provided by NeoSoft.

Best viewed with 3.0 or higher