House fire claims two lives; boy in stable condition

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, November 11, 1998

L’Observateur / November 11, 1998

LULING – A 6-year-old boy survived a house fire that killed his 22-month- old brother and their great-grandfather early Sunday morning.

Stephon Gordon was rescued by Deputy Wayne Joseph, who entered the blazing fire at 1036 Paul Maillard Road at 12:03 a.m. on his hands andknees and discovered Stephon in the living room.

He snatched up the boy and ran outside, then tried to re-enter but was forced back by the intensity of the fire. Joseph then carried the childacross Paul Maillard Road to St. Charles Parish Hospital.Meanwhile, firefighters were arriving, as well as neighbors who tried to assist, as well. Cpl. Patrick Beard and Deputy Bob Villere, both also withthe Luling VFD, arrived at the scene and located August Gordon Sr., 77, inthe living room and Broderick Gordon, 18 months, in the doorway of a bedroom.

A neighbor, Davis Frederick, also attempted to enter the house to help rescue the victims but injured himself in a fall and was pulled away by Sgt. Mark Candies and Deputy Claude Adams.Luling VFD received the call at 12:08 a.m. and arrived from its PaulMaillard Road station in moments. The house sustained major damage andis believed to have started accidently.

Stephon Gordon, meanwhile, was transferred to Children’s Hospital in New Orleans where, according to spokeswoman Christine Perrin, was moved from the intensive care unit to a private room on Monday in stable condition.

Return To News Stories