Corps of Engineers provides monthly levee update
Published 8:05 am Wednesday, November 9, 2022
LAPLACE — The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers released the following information in the most recent stakeholder update for the West Shore Lake Pontchartrain Levee Project.
Disaster Supplemental Funding Update
- Earlier this year, $3 million was appropriated for a West Shore Lake Pontchartrain Re-Evaluation Report that will consider additional opportunities for resiliency for the entire project. This may change the current alignment map and timeline. The Corps of Engineers is executing a cost-share agreement with the Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority.
- Pending completion of a report that finds a recommended plan that is economically justified and environmentally acceptable, up to $450M in additional construction funds have been set aside for use. There is potential to look at additional alternatives in St. James Parish that are economically justified.
- A contract for the Port of South Louisiana Airport runway extension Additional Work Approval Package (WSLP-108) has been signed and is awaiting approval. The WSLP 110 contract (near Garyville) was advertised October 21. Questions due November 17, and bid opening is scheduled for November 29.
- A pre-final inspection on the sand placement contract awarded to Phylway for $1.2 million in April 2022 was held on October 15. The second sand placement contract, awarded to Phylway for $3.1 million in May 2022 is still underway. Approximately 6,000 of 10,700 feet of sand have been placed, and the contract is expected to be completed in December.
- Stockpile Contracts
- Clay 1 – 225k/1000k cubic yards
- Clay 2 – 500k/500k cubic yards – Completed
- Sand – 600k/600k cubic yards – Completed
- Nearly all access roads are completed, with a small amount of work remaining on Access Roads B (in Garyville), F (by Reserve Relief Canal), and S (closest to St. Charles Parish/Spillway).