TPSO update Sunday shooting of a juvenile
Published 7:13 am Tuesday, October 11, 2022
HAMMOND, LA – Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff’s Office Chief Jimmy Travis stated in a press conference Monday afternoon that (7) seven individuals have been arrested in connection to a shooting that tragically claimed the life of a 16-year-old Hammond High Student. The incident took place close to midnight on October 8, 2022, outside of a residence on St. Paul Loop in Hammond, LA.
The incident occurred during a birthday party at the St. Paul Loop residence. It is believed that a social media video of a young female dancing lured her boyfriend and several of his friends to the party. Upon their arrival, an altercation ensued between the young female and the boyfriend. After a brief encounter, the boyfriend left the scene only to return a short time later firing shots at another vehicle occupied by party guests who are believed to have returned fire.
This incident is still under investigation. Preliminary investigations lead detectives to believe the victim was fatally struck by a stray bullet.
“It’s shocking to consider these individuals, both juveniles and adults, showed up to a birthday party armed with weapons – most of which can’t even legally possess,” states Travis. “We will continue to investigate as to how these juveniles came into possession of these firearms. If it is determined that crimes were violated as a result, charges will be dealt accordingly.”
Detectives are still looking for information relating to this incident. Anyone with information or who may have witnessed the incident, is asked to please call Crime Stoppers at 800-554-5245.
Additional charges and/or arrests are believed to be forthcoming.
- 18– year-old Jaylan Williams (BM) of Hammond, LA. Charged with Obstruction of Justice- Evidence Tampering, Murder-2nd Degree, and (3) counts of Contributing to Delinquency of Juvenile.
- 64– year –old Ella Bickham (BF) of Hammond, LA. Charged with Obstruction of Justice-Evidence Tampering. This female withheld information from law enforcement for over 16 hours before coming forward.
- 18 – year –old Corey Williams (BM) of Hammond, LA. Charged for starting an altercation with deputies who were processing the crime scene then retrieved a gun and fled the scene.
- (2) Two 17-year-old male juveniles of Hammond, LA. Both charged with Obstruction of Justice, Murder-2nd Degree, illegal Possession of a Handgun by a Juvenile, and Illegal Use of Weapons.
- 16-year-old male of Hammond, LA. Charged with Obstruction of Justice, Evidence Tampering, Murder-2nd Degree, Illegal Possession of a Handgun by a Juvenile, and Illegal Use of Weapons.
- 17-year-old male of Hammond, LA. Charged with Principle to 2nd Degree Murder.