Cyber Security Awareness (Week #2)
Published 7:42 am Monday, October 10, 2022
Money Mule / Money Mule Scam – A money mule is someone who transfers or moves illegally acquired money on behalf of someone else (knowingly or not).
Money mule scams can happen several ways. They can include online dating, work-at-home jobs, or prizes. Scammers transfer money to victims in multiple ways. Often instructing victims to use gift cards or wire transfers. Victims are often unaware that the money is stolen, or the reasons behind the transfers.
Here are some ways to prevent becoming a money mule:
1. Stay Aware
2. Don’t accept a job that asks you to transfer money.
3. Never send money to collect a prize.
4. Don’t send money back to an online love interest who’s sent you money.
If you believe that you are participating in a money mule scheme, do the following;
1. Stop communication with the suspected criminal(s).
2. Stop transferring money or any other items of value immediately.
3. Maintain any receipts, contact information, and relevant communications (emails, chats, text messages, etc.).
4. Notify your bank and the service you used to conduct the transaction.
If you are a victim of a Money Mule Scam, please contact your local law enforcement.