SCSO investigates use-of-force incident

Published 12:05 pm Tuesday, May 3, 2022

The St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office released the following information on Tuesday afternoon in response to a widely circulated social media video that showed an officer pushing a woman and using force to detain her.

LULING — The St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office reports on Monday, May 2, 2022, at approximately 8 p.m., deputies, while working an unrelated incident in the 1300 block of Paul Fredrick Street in Luling, LA, spotted a known wanted subject with a felony probation warrant walking on the street. Keith Anthony Robinson, Jr a 26-year-old male from Paul Fredrick Street in Luling, is described by the SCSO as “a convicted felon with a violent history.” When a deputy attempted to arrest Keith Robinson, Jr he fled on foot and ignored spoken commands.

Deputy Henry Sill deployed his department-issued taser to attempt to subdue Keith Robinson, Jr to take him into custody. The taser was ineffective and Keith Robinson, Jr continued to flee. An assisting officer was able to detain Keith Robinson, Jr and take him into custody.

While searching Keith Robinson, Jr after his arrest, a female subject approached deputies while recording Keith Robinson, Jr and attempting to speak to him. The female was later identified as his sister, MaryLee Breon Robinson, a 30-year-old female from Paul Fredrick Street in Luling, LA. MaryLee Robinson’s presence agitated Keith Robinson, Jr. MaryLee Robinson was advised she could record, but to stay in her yard.

As Keith Robinson, Jr was being placed into the rear of the police unit, MaryLee Robinson approached deputies from the rear of the unit, in the middle of the street. She was again recording and shouting at Keith Robinson, Jr and deputies. MaryLee Robinson was again told she could record but to back away from the investigation, at which time she vocalized that she would not listen to deputies’ orders. As Deputy Sill approached MaryLee Robinson to place her into custody, she fled on foot. Deputy Sill made contact with MaryLee Robinson a short time later and was met with active resistance. MaryLee Robinson refused to place her hands behind her back or comply with spoken commands and struck Deputy Sill in the face. Several friends and family members then began shouting and approaching deputies on the scene. MaryLee Robinson continued to agitate and incite Keith Robinson, Jr and the crowd on the scene.

Deputy Sill pushed MaryLee Robinson to create distance, at which point she fell to the ground. Deputy Sill moved in to effect an arrest, when MaryLee Robinson swung at Deputy Sill and kicked at him. Deputy Sill felt his taser holster crack upon MaryLee Robinson’s kick, glanced down and realized his taser was no longer on his duty belt. MaryLee Robinson continued to actively resist arrest, at which point Deputy Sill used an empty hand distraction technique to gain control and take her into custody. This was successful.

Another deputy arrived on scene to assist, and MaryLee Robinson was placed into custody.  She continued to actively resist and was placed into the rear of a police unit. She continuously kicked the rear windows and doors of the unit. MaryLee Robinson refused medical treatment on the scene. When booked into the Nelson Coleman Correctional Center Medical Staff observed no visible marks or scratches.

MaryLee Robinson is charged with Interfering with a Law Enforcement Investigation, Simple Criminal Damage to Property, Battery of a Police Officer (2 Counts), Disturbing the Peace, Resisting an Officer with Force or Violence, Fugitive.

MaryLee Robinson has a history of Theft, Resisting an Officer, and Simple Battery.

There is an Administrative Investigation ongoing in regards to this incident. Updates will be made as available.