Dish Out Happiness with a Classic Dessert
Published 9:30 am Sunday, April 17, 2022
(Family Features) Spending precious moments enjoying outdoor meals with family and friends is part of what makes warm weather get-togethers so special. Take those al fresco occasions to the next level with a favorite dessert: ice cream.
Homemade ice cream is a hallmark of many family events from birthday celebrations and pool parties to warm weather holidays spent basking in the sunshine. Completely customizable with an array of fruits or other tasty mix-ins plus toppings of your choice, it’s a perfect way to put a grin on loved ones’ faces.
At your next outdoor event, try an option like Cheesecake Ice Cream with Fruit Swirls from Milk Means More. It’s a simple solution you can make a couple days in advance with your favorite fruit flavor such as blueberry, raspberry, cherry, strawberry, peach or apricot. Plus, this recipe serves a crowd, making it perfect for serving up smiles.
Visit MilkMeansMore.org for more delicious dessert ideas.
Watch video to see how to make this recipe!
Cheesecake Ice Cream with Fruit Swirls
Recipe courtesy of Marcia Stanley, MS, RDN, on behalf of Milk Means More
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 12 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- 1 dash salt
- 1/3 cup blueberry, raspberry, cherry, strawberry, peach or apricot fruit spread
- In large mixer bowl of electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Add sour cream, half-and-half, vanilla, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and salt. Beat on low speed until combined then beat on medium speed until smooth. Cover and refrigerate 2-24 hours, or until cold.
- Pour cream cheese mixture into 1 1/2-quart ice cream freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.
- In small bowl, stir fruit spread and remaining lemon juice.
- Spoon about one-third of ice cream into 2-quart food storage container. Spoon about half of fruit spread mixture in dollops over ice cream. Repeat layers. Top with remaining ice cream. Cover and freeze 4-24 hours.
- To serve, scoop ice cream into dessert dishes.