TPSO release updated statement regarding man with handgun at school

Published 6:42 am Friday, November 19, 2021

UPDATE: On Thursday someone reported that an unknown male was walking and waving a handgun near the carpool line at Hammond EastSide Elementary. With the situation unknown, the TPSO and multiple other agencies immediately responded with the highest level of concern resulting in the school’s administration calling for an immediate lockdown of both Hammond EastSide Elementary and Hammond High School. Members of several law enforcement agencies secured the area, conducted security sweeps of each facility, and set up safety primates around both locations as the students, faculty, and staff sheltered in place.
Chief Jimmy Travis reports that after it was determined that there was no immediate threat, and the students and staff were able to safely exit, detectives were able to retrieve and review surveillance video from both schools. During that time, the witness was able to point out and identify the subject in question. After further review, it was determined that that the subject in question was not in possession of a firearm. It appears the subject was holding an umbrella or cane like object.
“This is the best outcome to a call like this,” Travis says. Anytime we are contacted about the safety of our citizens, especially our children, we are going to respond at the highest level and with a multitude of resources. We would like to thank each and every agency and organization that responded to assist with this call for service today. “The successful coordination of efforts displayed today was second to none.” states Sheriff Daniel Edwards.
Earlier this afternoon, it was reported that a white male with long hair appeared on campus holding a handgun. Law enforcement, fire, and Acadian quickly responded with the utmost urgency.
Within minutes, a large law enforcement presence was on both campuses to ensure the safety of the students, the staff, and the parents. Hammond High School and Hammond Eastside was immediately put into a lockdown, not allowing anyone in nor out of the schools.
Chief Jimmy Travis reports after intensive security measures, the campuses were deemed safe. Both of these schools are about to begin releasing students and staff. No injuries are reported