FEMA seeking multi-family rental properties to support Hurricane Ida survivors
Published 11:42 am Wednesday, November 3, 2021
NEW ORLEANS — FEMA is seeking owners of rental properties that could be repaired to local, state and federal standards and offered as temporary housing for Hurricane Ida survivors.
Multifamily Lease and Repair (MLR) allows FEMA to repair and lease or make improvements to existing multi-family rental property for the purpose of providing temporary housing to eligible applicants who are displaced due to Hurricane Ida.
To qualify for the MLR program, interested parties must:
- Register the property in the System for Award Management (SAM) (beta.SAM.gov) and the Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS).
- Own a multifamily property, including the parcel of land, with two or more units available for FEMA use.
- Show documentation that the property was previously used as a rental property.
- Lease the vacant units exclusively to FEMA for use as temporary housing for eligible applicants to expire no earlier than February 28, 2023, with the possibility of contract extension.
- Provide all property management services, including building maintenance.
- Enter into an agreement with FEMA for funding to cover the cost of the required repairs or improvements and determine if the repairs will be completed by using their own contractor or having FEMA secure a third-party contractor.
Properties eligible for consideration in the MLR program must:
- Not be located within a Special Flood Hazard Area.
- Be located within reasonable commuting distance to the disaster-impacted communities and critical wrap-around services, such as accessible public transportation, schools, fire and emergency services and grocery stores.
- Provide complete and independent living facilities for one or more people. This includes permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking and sanitation.
- Be repairable within 120 days of the date the agreement is approved by FEMA, including all required repairs and improvements, and all repairs must comply with local building codes, standards, permitting, inspection requirements and all applicable environmental and historical preservation laws and regulations.
- Include at least one unit repaired or improved to be accessible to applicants with disabilities or other access and functional needs.
Interested property owners who own properties that potentially qualify for participation in MLR are required to submit the following information for consideration:
- Complex name (if applicable), location, property owner name and phone number.
- Status of the property’s mortgage payments.
- Number of vacant units that contain a separate bathroom, kitchen and living space. Of the vacant units:
- Number of vacant units available for FEMA exclusive use.
- Number of units compliant with Uniform Federal Accessibility Standards (UFAS) and/or features in unit(s) that provide accessibility for individuals with disabilities.
- Description of repairs and improvements required to make the units habitable.
- Projected length of time required to make units habitable (from execution of lease agreement).
- History of building’s use:
- Date of construction (if known).
- Dates building was used for multifamily housing.
- Rental rates during the last year of operation (state whether utilities were included, and if so, which ones).
- Any applicable pet restrictions, such as type, number, size, and any applicable pet deposits.
- Number of parking spaces (including accessible and van-accessible) available for each unit, if applicable.
FEMA is looking for properties that are in adjacent parishes or within 50 miles of the parishes designated for direct housing. Direct Housing is approved for Jefferson, Lafourche, Livingston, Plaquemines, St. Charles, St. Helena, St. James, St. John the Baptist, Tangipahoa and Terrebonne parishes.
Interested parties must respond to FEMA’s Request for Information by Nov. 17, via email at DR-4611-LA-MLRP@fema.dhs.gov. The subject line should read: RFI 70FBR621I00000005 Response: Multi Lease and Repair (MLR), [DR-4611-LA].