Hurricane Ida recovery update – Tuesday, October 19
Published 5:25 pm Tuesday, October 19, 2021
LAPLACE — St. John the Baptist Parish issued the following Hurricane Ida recovery updates for Tuesday, October 19.
· Residents may apply for FEMA assistance online at disasterassistance.gov, via its 24/7 phone line at 800-621-3362, or in-person.
· To apply for FEMA assistance and make amendments to applications, visit the FEMA Disaster Recovery Center daily from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. at
· Frazee-Harris Memorial Library (parking lot)
111 Historic Front Street, Garyville, LA 70051
Roland Borne, Sr. Memorial Library (parking lot)
· 2979 LA-18, Edgard, LA 70049
· If you received a letter saying you are ineligible for FEMA assistance after Hurricane Ida damaged your home, you can appeal.
· Appeal letters must be sent or given to FEMA within 60 days of the date of the determination letter, and evidence to support your appeal request should be included.
· More than 676,000 cubic yards of debris has been collected to date.
· Please be assured that debris contractors will continue to collect 7 days a week.
· We are also working closely with State DOTD as they are tasked with debris collection on state highways.
· Currently, 30 customers are without power or 0.16% Parishwide.
· If you are without power, please call and report it to Entergy at 1-800-ENTERGY.
· Beware of scammers threatening immediate service disconnection. Entergy will never call and ask for personal information or demand payment.
· If you need to start, stop, or move service; pay your bill; or report an outage, you can also use: https://www.myentergy.com/s/.
Business Recovery & Small Business Administration
· Parish President Hotard will host special guest Yolanda Stokes (Public Information Officer, Office of Disaster Assistance, U.S. Small Business Administration) on Facebook Live tomorrow, Wednesday, October 20, 2021, at 3 p.m.
· Feel free to submit your SBA questions to email@example.com or text them to 504-884-0607. Questions will also be answered during the Facebook Live.
· The SBA Business Recovery Center is open on Mondays – Wednesdays, 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. at River Region Chamber of Commerce – 390 Belle Terre Blvd., LaPlace
No change from previous update:
· The state offers a non-congregate Hurricane Ida Sheltering Program, visit idashelteringla.com/ or call 844-268-0301 to register for temporary sheltering.
· Please note that you will never be asked to provide your Social Security Number, Banking or Financial Information as part of your participation in this program.
· The program provides sheltering assistance to residents in eligible heavily impacted parishes until other temporary or permanent housing options are available
· We encourage residents to also apply for FEMA assistance at disasterassistance.gov.
· Metro is working to return to regularly scheduled routes. More information at https://metroservicegroup.com/
· Are you out of work due to Hurricane Ida? Follow these 4 steps to connect with disaster relief job opportunities. Click the link to start the application process http://ow.ly/Wk8g50GncsX
· Residents who need elderly assistance should call the Department of Health & Human Services at 985-536-4955 during business hours, 8am-4:30pm daily.
· Permit fees for repairs and renovations due to hurricane damage have been waived until February 28, 2022.
Building permits are not needed for the following types of work:
Shingles, Sheetrock, Cabinetry, Flooring, Fencing, Doors, Siding, Trim and Painting.
Permits are only needed when structural repairs are made to the framing, roof, or electrical components of the house.
If you have any questions, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 985-651-5565.
· If you sustained damage to your home or business electrical and/or gas systems and the utility was not able to reconnect service, please contact Planning & Zoning at Email safereconnect@stjohn-
Hurricane Ida Donations
Drop Off Site:
Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 3:30 pm
200 REGALA Park Rd., Reserve
Non-perishable food, toiletries, cleaning supplies & water (clothing not accepted)
All items donated will go to Hurricane Ida relief in St. John Parish.
· For text alerts, text SJPWEATHER to 888-777
· Parish website: sjbparish.gov
· Parish social media: Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
· Government Access Channel (15/99)