Hurricane Ida recovery update – October 17
Published 9:01 pm Sunday, October 17, 2021
LAPLACE — St. John the Baptist Parish issued the following Hurricane Ida recovery updates for Sunday, October 17.
· More than 650,000 cubic yards of debris has been collected to date.
· We know that many people may have not yet gutted their homes and debris piles will continue to pop up. Please be assured that debris contractors will continue to collect 7 days a week.
· We are also working with State DOTD as they are tasked with debris collection on state highways.
· Metro is working to return to regularly scheduled routes. More information at https://metroservicegroup.com/
· The Disaster Recovery Centers are located at:
– Frazee-Harris Memorial Library (parking lot)
111 Historic Front Street, Garyville, LA 70051
– Roland Borne, Sr. Memorial Library (parking lot)
– 2979 LA-18, Edgard, LA 70049
· Hours of operation for both centers are Monday – Sunday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
· FEMA Home Inspections Info: If you applied with FEMA and you cannot live in your home because of damage caused by Hurricane Ida, a FEMA inspector will contact you to set up either a remote or in-person, exterior-only home inspection. FEMA never charges for an inspection.
· More on what to expect from your inspection: https://www.fema.gov/…/fema-
· For more information, visit disasterassistance.gov or call the 24/7 FEMA hotline at 1-800-621-3362. If you are a victim of fraud, report it to the FEMA Disaster Fraud Hotline at 1-866-223-0814.
· The state offers a non-congregate Hurricane Ida Sheltering Program, visit idashelteringla.com/ or call 844-268-0301 to register for temporary sheltering.
· We encourage residents to apply for the Ida Sheltering Program and also FEMA assistance at disasterassistance.gov.
Executive Order – Residential RVS
· Parish President Hotard signed an executive order to allow for placement of one RV, travel trailer or other similar form of temporary housing to be placed on a single-family residential site through August 29, 2022. Additional provisions may be added as needs are identified for recovery.
· If you are without power, please call and report it to Entergy at 1-800-ENTERGY.
· Beware of scammers threatening immediate service disconnection. Entergy will never call and ask for personal information or demand payment.
· If you get a suspicious call from “Entergy,” hang-up and call 1-800-368-3749 to speak directly with an Entergy customer service representative.
Business Recovery Center
· The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Business Recovery Center is open in LaPlace on Mondays – Wednesdays, 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. at River Region Chamber of Commerce – 390 Belle Terre Blvd., LaPlace
· Federal low-interest disaster loans from SBA are available to businesses, homeowners, and renters.
· You may call SBA’s Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955, email DisasterCustomerService@sba.
· Are you out of work due to Hurricane Ida? Follow these 4 steps to connect with disaster relief job opportunities:
– Visit laworks.net to start the application process and click on “Disaster Relief Opportunities”
– Complete the online form
– Wait for staff to verify eligibility
– Make sure you have created a HiRE account
No change from previous update:
Elderly Assistance for St. John residents
• Call the Department of Health & Human Services at 985-536-4955 from 8am-4:30pm daily.
· Permit fees for repairs and renovations due to hurricane damage have been waived until February 28, 2022.
· Building permits are not needed for the following types of work:
Shingles, Sheetrock, Cabinetry, Flooring, Fencing, Doors, Siding, Trim and Painting.
Permits are only needed when structural repairs are made to the framing, roof, or electrical components of the house.
· If you have any questions, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 985-651-5565.
· If you sustained damage to your home or business electrical and/or gas systems and the utility was not able to reconnect service, please contact Planning & Zoning at Email safereconnect@stjohn-
Boil Water Advisories
· All Boil Water Advisories in St. John Parish are lifted.
· The curfew is lifted for St. John Parish.
Hurricane Ida Donations
· Drop Off Site:
Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 3:30 pm
200 REGALA Park Rd., Reserve
· Non-perishable food, toiletries, cleaning supplies & water (clothing not accepted)
· All items donated will go to Hurricane Ida relief in St. John Parish.
· For text alerts, text SJPWEATHER to 888-777
· Parish website: sjbparish.gov
· Parish social media: Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
· Government Access Channel (15/99)