Hurricane Ida recovery update – October 13
Published 7:22 pm Wednesday, October 13, 2021
LAPLACE — St. John the Baptist Parish issued the following Hurricane Ida recovery updates for Wednesday, October 13.
· To date, over 600,00 cubic yards of debris has been collected in St. John.
· Please be assured that if a resident is currently gutting their home, debris crews are making multiple passes and debris monitors continuously going through neighborhoods to determine where debris remains.
· Currently, 24 customers are out of power.
· For assistance, please call Entergy at 1-800-ENTERGY.
· The US Army Corps of Engineers has installed 1,201 blue roofs in St. John. The deadline to apply for a blue roof is Friday, Oct 15. Apply at Blueroof.us or call 888-766-3258.
No changes from previous update:
· Metro is working to return to regularly scheduled routes.
Louisiana Hurricane Ida Sheltering Program
· The Governor recently announced that registration is now open for the Louisiana Hurricane Ida Sheltering Program, which will provide temporary housing to people in heavily impacted parishes where other sheltering options are currently unavailable.
· For more information or to register for the program, visit idashelteringla.com or call (844) 268-0301
· FEMA Disaster recovery centers are open daily including weekends from 9 am to 6 pm at Garyville Library Parking Lot – 111 Historic Front, Garyville and Edgard Library Parking Lot – 2979 Hwy 18, Edgard
Businesses Recovery Center
· Small Business Administration (SBA) Business Recovery Center is open in LaPlace on Mondays – Wednesdays, 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. at River Region Chamber of Commerce – 390 Belle Terre Blvd., LaPlace
Mobile Workforce/ Disaster Unemployment
· The application deadline for Disaster Unemployment Assistance is Nov. 2, 2021: http://ow.ly/AfoZ50GePCV
Elderly Assistance for St. John residents
• Call 985-536-4955 from 8am-4:30pm daily.
Boil Water Advisories
· All Boil Water Advisories in St. John Parish are lifted.
· Permit fees for repairs and renovations due to hurricane damage have been waived until February 28, 2022.
· Building permits are not needed for the following types of work:
Shingles, Sheetrock, Cabinetry, Flooring, Fencing, Doors, Siding, Trim and Painting.
Permits are only needed when structural repairs are made to the framing, roof, or electrical components of the house.
· If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 985-651-5565.
· If you sustained damage to your home or business electrical and/or gas systems and the utility was not able to reconnect service, please contact Planning & Zoning at Email safereconnect@stjohn-
· The curfew is lifted for St. John Parish.
West Shore Lake Pontchartrain Levee Update
· Parish President Hotard continues to meet monthly with the US Army Corps of Engineers on the West Shore Lake Pontchartrain Levee Project
· Early data show surge heights below WSLP design
· Three contracts are underway including stockpiling clay and sand for use in levee construction.
· A contract to construct access roads was awarded in August 2021.
· Test sections have been recently awarded with additional construction anticipated in Spring of 2022.
· These test sections, built along the levee alignment, will provide important information on what materials, and means and methods will best equip the Corps for construction.
For more information, please visit https://www.mvn.usace.army.
Hurricane Ida Donations
· Drop Off Site:
Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 3:30 pm
200 REGALA Park Rd., Reserve
· Non-perishable food, toiletries, cleaning supplies & water (clothing not accepted)
· All items donated will go to Hurricane Ida relief in St. John Parish.
· For text alerts, text SJPWEATHER to 888-777
· Parish website: sjbparish.gov
· Parish social media: Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
· Government Access Channel (15/99)