Hurricane Ida recovery update – Monday, October 4
Published 4:10 pm Monday, October 4, 2021
LAPLACE — St. John the Baptist Parish provided the following new updates on Hurricane Ida recovery for Monday, October 4.
St. John Parish DSNAP schedule for this week:
- Monday, October 4- Residents with last names beginning with A-F
- Tuesday, October 5 – G-M
- Wednesday, October 6 – N-S
- Thursday, October 7 – T-Z
- Friday, October 8 – A-Z
- Saturday, October 9 – A-Z
Application/interview info, Phase 3 schedules – http://www.dcfs.la.gov/dsnap
What Applicants Need to know: Due to ongoing concerns related to the coronavirus pandemic, DSNAP applications will be handled by phone, and benefits cards will be mailed to approved applicants through the U.S. Postal Service.
Residents in the approved parishes can call the LAHelpU Customer Service Center, 1-888-524-3578, to apply and be interviewed for DSNAP. Applicants should call 1-888-524-3578, select their language, prompt 6 and then 1 between the hours of 7:30am to 6pm.
Translation services are available for individuals whose primary language is not English.
Residents are encouraged, but not required, to take the following steps before calling to apply for DSNAP:
– Pre-register online first. Step-by-step instructions can be found at www.dcfs.la.gov/DSNAP.
– Download the LA Wallet mobile app for identity and residency verification. Information on the app, including download links, can be found at LAWallet.com.
– Gather all information needed for the application. A list of what is needed can be found in the FAQs at www.dcfs.la.gov/page/dsnap-
Residents who pre-registered or applied for DSNAP since March 2020 do not need to pre-register again.
When residents call to apply and be interviewed for DSNAP, a worker will verify the applicant’s identity and residency, and obtain information about their income, resources and disaster-related expenses incurred between August 26, 2021, and September 24, 2021.
Most applicants will be told on the phone immediately after completing their application and interview whether they have been approved to receive DSNAP and, if so, the number of benefits they will receive. Applicants will also receive a letter by mail, confirming the eligibility decision made on their application.
Aerial Mosquito Spraying Scheduled
St. John Officials have scheduled an aerial mosquito spray operation this week to increase mosquito efforts resulting from the flooding caused by Hurricane Ida.
The aerial applications may begin at approximately 7:00pm and continue until about 1:00 am, weather permitting. The aerial application may occur Tuesday, October 5th through Sunday, October 10th weather permitting. If a delay occurs, it will be finished on a subsequent day that is favorable for treatment.
Vector Disease Control International (VDCI) and its subsidiary company Mosquito Control Services (MCS) will be conducting the aerial spray operation using multiple twin-engine aircraft flying at an altitude of approximately 300 feet.
For additional information, contact VDCI at 800-413-4445.
- To date, more than 460,000 cubic yards of debris has been collected in St. John.
- Please be assured that if a resident is currently gutting their home, debris crews are making multiple passes and debris monitors continuously going through neighborhoods to determine where debris remains.
- Metro partnered with Waste Pro to bring in additional trucks to service the Parish during the weekend and are also working to return to regularly scheduled routes.
- Approximately 40 customers or 0.21 % currently without power in St. John.
- Please report any power outages to 1-800-ENTERGY.
- To date, over 18,113 FEMA registrations in St. John.
- FEMA Disaster recovery centers open daily including weekends from 9 am to 6 pm at Garyville Library Parking Lot – 111 Historic Front, Garyville and Edgard Library Parking Lot – 2979 Hwy 18, Edgard
- You can apply or update your information online at DisasterAssistance.gov, by calling 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585) or through the FEMA mobile app.
- To date, 549 blue roofs have been installed in St. John.
- The deadline to apply for a blue roof is October 15 at Blueroof.us or call 888-766-3258.
Mobile Workforce/ Disaster Unemployment
- The Mobile Workforce Center will be at REGALA Park, 194 REGALA Park Rd., in Reserve, tomorrow October 4th, 5th, & 11th from 9am-6pm helping residents apply for disaster unemployment assistance.
- The application deadline for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) has been extended through Nov. 2, 2021.
- Click here to apply for DUA online: http://ow.ly/
Businesses Recovery Center
· Small Business Administration (SBA) Business Recovery Center is open in LaPlace on Mondays – Wednesdays, 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
· Located at River Region Chamber of Commerce – 390 Belle Terre Blvd., LaPlace
· SBA’s Customer Service Center can be reached at 800-659-2955