St. Charles Parish Schools announce tentative school reopening timelines
Published 2:31 pm Tuesday, September 21, 2021
LULING — In a letter to St. Charles Parish Public School families, Superintendent Dr. Ken Oertling said a phased approach will be used for the reopening of schools following Hurricane Ida due to varying damage and site-specific recovery efforts.
Timelines are tentative as the school district awaits the release of buildings and clearance from a number of contractors conducting work inside school buildings.
“Please know we are committed to a safe and healthy environment for students and employees. Once it has been determined buildings meet safety, environmental and operational standards, we will be able to provide more definitive dates for reopening of schools.,” Dr. Oertling said.
These timelines are being shared for general planning purposes. Please note these dates are subject to change and may be adjusted to reflect a sooner or later return date.
As a reminder, there are a number of tasks/items that must be completed prior to reopening schools for in-person learning:
- Construction repairs must be completed at some sites
- Buildings must pass environmental testing
- Electrical, phone, technology, and safety systems must be tested and repaired
- Adequate staffing must be available
- Food supplies and items must be available for school meals
St. Charles Parish Public Schools TentativeHurricane Ida Reopening Timelines
- PHASE 1 SCHOOLS
- Tentative Teachers and School Staff Report: Thursday, September 30, 2021
Tentative Student Return: Week of October 4, 2021
- Ethel Schoeffner Elementary School, Luling Elementary School, Mimosa Park Elementary School, R.J. Vial Elementary School, St. Rose Elementary School, Albert Cammon Middle School, J.B. Martin Middle School
- PHASE 2 SCHOOLS
- Tentative Teachers and School Staff Report: Thursday, October 7, 2021
Tentative Student Return: Week of October 11, 2021
- Allemands Elementary School, Lakewood Elementary School, Harry Hurst Middle School, R.K. Smith Middle School, Landry Educational Programs Center, Satellite Center, *Destrehan High School, *Hahnville High School
- *DHS and HHS will temporarily platoon at Hahnville High School.
- PHASE 3 SCHOOLS
- Tentative Teachers and School Staff Report: Thursday, October 21, 2021
Tentative Student Return: Week of October 25, 2021
- Carver Early Learning Center, East Bank Head Start Center, New Sarpy Elementary School, Norco Elementary School
Students previously registered in the school system’s eLearning Program will resume learning on the same date as the student’s home-based school.
Destrehan High School and Hahnville High School will have to platoon at Hahnville High School for a temporary period of time until repairs are complete at Destrehan High School. The high school platooning schedule and logistics are still being developed. This schedule will include necessary adjustments and supports to allow students to earn Carnegie credits for the classes they are currently enrolled in.
More information will be shared once it is finalized.
A registration process is also being developed for in-parish students who may now be in a different feeder system within the parish due to Hurricane Ida displacement. Ex: Pre-hurricane lived in Destrehan but now living temporarily in Luling with a relative/friend.
The school system will work with families as needed regarding any concerns in meeting the dress code policy.
Please note school phones are not operational at this time. More detailed information will be released accordingly as plans are finalized.
“Your flexibility, adaptability, and understanding is most appreciated as we work diligently to reopen schools in an operationally safe and efficient way,” Dr. Oertling said. “Thank you for your continued support and cooperation. I can’t wait to see our students and employees soon.”