Hurricane Ida weekend recovery update
Published 7:46 am Sunday, September 19, 2021
LAPLACE — St. John the Baptist Parish issued the following Hurricane Ida recovery updates on the evening of Saturday, Sept. 18.
- In response to mounting garbage, Parish President Hotard facilitated the partnership between Metro and Waste Pro. Ten Waste Pro trucks are out Parish-wide servicing the community in addition to Metro trucks. President Hotard also issued an Emergency Household Waste Bid and is in the process of executing agreements to increase disposal capacity. Bids will be opened Sunday, September 19, 2021, at 10 a.m. “My main priority right now is getting the trash off the street for our residents; therefore, taking emergency actions were necessary,” said Parish President Hotard. “I will continue to take any and all actions necessary to rid our streets of garbage. I want to thank residents for their patience and cooperation as we work to get all garbage collected.”
- More than 147,000 cubic yards of debris has been collected so far. Debris trucks are out Parish-wide collecting debris daily.
- Please separate debris and do not place debris on fire hydrants, water meters, trees, or mailboxes.
- St. John residents on the East Bank remain under a Boil Water Advisory.
- The Louisiana Department of Health has lifted the Boil Water Advisory for the West Bank (Edgard, Lucy and Wallace)
- Utilities workers were making emergency repairs on Balsam Street Saturday night, leading to a temporary loss of water pressure.
- Please continue to limit non-essential sewer usages.
- LA 44 near Cargill is now open.
- More than 16,00 individuals have applied.
Mobile Unit Schedule (8am-6pm)
- Sept 19 – St. Charles Catholic Parking Lot
- Please call 800-621-3362 or visit disasterassistance.gov.
- blueroof.us or 888-766-3258.
- Blue Roof vehicle at Matherne’s – 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 19
- 1,874 customers (9.49%) of customers without power
- 1-800-9OUTAGE (1-800-968-8243)
(Below is no change from yesterday’s update)
Elderly Assistance for St. John residents
- Call 985-536-4955 from 8am-5pm daily.
- Members of the Louisiana Floodplain Management Disaster Recovery Team are in neighborhoods with the Planning and Zoning Department to assess damage to properties in flood zones AE and VE.
Safe Reconnect of Utilities
- If you sustained damage to your home or business electrical and/or gas systems and the utility was not able to reconnect service, please contact Planning & Zoning at Emailsafereconnect@stjohn-
la.gov or call 985-651-5565
Temporary Housing Executive Order
- Allows for placement of one RV, travel trailer or other similar form of temporary housing to be placed on a single-family residential site through August 29, 2022.
- 10 p.m. – 5 a.m.
- Financial donations for St. John the Baptist recovery efforts can be made through the United Way link at St. John United Way Hurricane Ida