St. John Parish: Hurricane Ida Update #2
· Hurricane & Storm Surge Warnings and Flash Flood Watch in effect
· Ida is projected to make landfall as a Category 4 hurricane on Sunday bringing the possibility of gusty winds (50 mph+), 10 + inches of rainfall, and 4-7 feet of storm surge.
· St. John the Baptist Parish will open a parish shelter at 6:00 p.m. Residents in need of a shelter can go to the Emily C. Watkins School located at 938 LA 628 in LaPlace beginning at 6:00 p.m.
· Residents are responsible for transportation to and from the shelter and should bring anything they need including food, clothing, bedding, and medicine.
· The shelter will remain open for the duration of the storm.
Voluntary Evacuation for Low-Lying Areas North of I-10 in LaPlace and Pleasure Bend:
· Parish President Hotard issued a Voluntary Evacuation for Pleasure Bend and low-lying areas North of I-10 in LaPlace, which is Frenier, Peavine and Manchac.
· Residents are asked to bring vehicles, boats, or campers to higher ground as Hurricane Ida, expected to make landfall as a major Hurricane Sunday, could bring storm surge and heavy rainfall to our area.
· Garbage collection is suspended until there is no longer a threat of tropical weather. As Hurricane Ida makes its way toward landfall, we ask that residents secure garbage cans and loose items around homes and yards.
· Please finalize hurricane plans by tonight. Prepare at home by gathering emergency supplies such as flashlights, non-perishable food, water, and batteries for at least 3-5 days and securing garbage cans and outdoor items.
· Prepare for possible power outages. Download the Entergy APP or dial 800-9-OUTAGE to report outages.
Sandbags sites are open until weather permits.
– St. John Community Center
– Railroad Avenue Fire Station (near Riverside Academy)
– Ezekiel Jackson Park
– Juan Anthony Joseph Memorial Park
– Wallace Fire Station
– Lucy Fire Station
– Pleasure Bend Fire Station
Pre-filled sandbags for elderly and disabled:
(Limit 10 pre-filled)
– 425 Captain G. Bourgeois, LaPlace
· All St. John Parish Government Offices and the St. John the Baptist Parish Courthouse are closed Monday, August 30, 2021
· All public, private, and Catholic schools are closed Monday, August 30, 2021.
Stay Connected to official sources:
· Sjbparish.gov, Government Access Channel (15/99), Facebook & Instagram.
· Sign up for emergency weather alerts by texting SJPWEATHER to 888-777.