March 20 election results
St. Charles Parish voters were tasked with electing a new Councilperson at-large Division A following the resignation of Councilwoman Wendy Benedetto. Beth Billings (Republican) won the seat with 4,298 or 69% of the vote. “Dick” Gibbs (Republican) had 1,188 votes or 19% and “Joe” Larre (Republican) had 788 votes or 13%.
Voters in St. John the Baptist, St. James and parts of St. Charles Parish voted to elect a new United States Representative for the Second Congressional District. Congressman Cedric Richmond has resigned to work at the White House, and voters must select a candidate to fill his seat. The results are the following:
- Chelsea Ardoin (Republican) with 3,218 votes or 3%.
- Belden “Noonie Man” Batiste (Independent) with 598 votes or 1%.
- Claston Bernard (Republican) with 9237 votes or 10%.
- Troy A. Carter (Democrat) with 34,396 votes or 36%.
- Karen Carter Peterson (Democrat) with 21670 votes or 23%.
- Gary Chambers Jr. (Democrat) with 20,151 votes or 21%.
- Harold John (Democrat) with 403 votes.
- J. Christopher Johnson (Democrat) with 288 votes.
- Brandon Jolicoeur (No Party) with 94 votes,
- Lloyd M. Kelly (Democrat) with 122 votes
- “Greg” Lirette (Republican) with 2,349 votes or 2%.
- Mindy McConnell (Libertarian) with 323 votes.
- Desiree Ontiveros (Democrat) with 699 votes or 1%.
- Jenette M. Porter (Democrat) with 244 votes.
- Sheldon C. Vincent Sr. (Republican) with 754 votes or 1%.
None of the candidates attained more than 50 percent of the vote. Troy A Carter (Democrat) and Karen Carter Peterson will be a run-off on April 24, 2021.
The deadline to register to vote in the April 24 election in person or by mail will be March 24. The deadline to register to vote through the GeauxVote Online Registration System is April 3.
Those requesting an absentee by mail ballot must do so by 4:30 p.m. April 20, and the deadline for the Registrar of Voters to receive a voted mail ballot is 4:30 p.m. April 23.