Utility bill assistance available to residents

Published 10:03 pm Friday, June 5, 2020

LAPLACE —St. John the Baptist Parish residents may be eligible for financial assistance with their utility bills through the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program.

LIHEAP services will be provided by St. John Parish Department of Health and Human Services. All applicants must demonstrate permanent residence in St. John Parish, provide outlined benefits below and meet the following income guidelines identified by the state.

Applicants may receive Crisis Service or Non-Crisis Service.

  • LIHEAP Crisis Service – Residents may qualify if they have a disconnect notice from Entergy. Crisis Service is available only once every 12 months.
  • LIHEAP Non-Crisis Service – Those who do not have a disconnect notice may still qualify for assistance. Non- Crisis Service is limited to once every heating period and once every cooling period.

The Department of Health and Human Services now has two ways for clients to complete the LIHEAP process. LIHEAP online and drop off applications will be accepted on Monday, June 15 on a first-come, first-served basis, until funds are no longer available. All interested residents should log on towww.sjbparish.com and visit Health and Human Services Webpage or drop off and pick up ALL required documentation at St.  John Department of Health and Human Services at 128 Central Avenue in the drop box in front the office. The office is closed to the public, but residents can call the office at 985-536-4955 with any further questions.

Benefits require proof of income for one month or four consecutive check stubs, a utility bill (heating/cooling), social security cards for everyone living in the household, and an ID picture/driver’s license. If an individual’s ID does not match the Energy service location address, he or she must submit another utility bill and another bill including a lease agreement or rent receipt to show vulnerability. SNAP recipients must present household electronic notice from the Department of Children and Family Services. Self-employed applicants must provide recent Federal Income Tax Return and attached schedules. Termination records are required if an applicant has recently been terminated or laid off.

If any documentation is missing from anindividual’s application, he or she will be placed at the end of the LIHEAP application program waiting list.

Please refer to the following income guidelines: