STEM Magnet program expands enrollment to current 10th graders
RESERVE — The St. John the Baptist Parish Public School District is expanding enrollment for its STEM Magnet High School Program and is now accepting applications from current 10th grade students for the 2019-20 school year.
Previously, applications were only being accepted from students in 7-9 grades.
Applications are available at stjohn.k12.la.us and will be accepted through 4 p.m. Dec. 3. Admitted students will be notified by Jan. 22.
Students currently in grades 7-10 must meet at least ONE of the following criteria to be considered for acceptance to the program:
• Score Mastery or Advanced on any Math or Science LEAP from last school year
• Score Good or Excellent on any Math or Science EOC Exam (Algebra I, Geometry, or Biology) from last school year
• Score at the 75th percentile or above on a nationally normed Math or Science test (e.g., ACT Aspire)
• Have a minimum of a 3.0 cumulative GPA in Math and Science from the last school year
• Be classified as gifted according to IDEA regulations
• Have completed a Magnet program in St. John the Baptist Parish (either John L. Ory or Garyville Magnet)
The STEM Magnet High School Program offers an advanced option for high school students who wish to prepare for possible careers in science, technology, engineering or math. The program seeks to inspire creativity, promote leadership, and cultivate well-rounded, lifelong learners who are problem solvers.
Together with other academically advanced students, students will be challenged through a rigorous program of instruction that will prepare them for success in college and beyond.
A few of the specific benefits that STEM Magnet students receive are:
• Opportunities to earn college credits through a partnership with LSU
• Working with highly-trained teachers who are qualified to deliver college-level instruction
• Enrollment in one of three pre-university pathways, including Pre-engineering, Digital Design and Biomedical Sciences
• Numerous extracurricular opportunities, including participating in athletics at the student’s home school
You can find out more information about the STEM Magnet High School Program by visiting its website at stem.stjohn.k12.la.us or by contacting the STEM Magnet Program directly at 1880 Highway 44, Reserve, LA 70084 or 985-479-8338.