Keller: Destructive road looks familiar
The Roman Empire lasted from 27 BC to 476 AD; a period exceeding 500 years. At that time, it was the most powerful empire in the world.
The fall of this once great empire was due to different causes over a period of 100 years. There were many, but to mention only a few:
• Antagonism between the Senate and the Emperor. The Emperor had power over life and death. It’s been said that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it — political unrest.
• Decline in morals, especially in the rich and upper class. Promiscuous and sexual behavior, including adultery and orgies, also affected the lower class. Lewd acts were practiced and forced prostitution flourished. There was widespread gambling and massive alcohol consumption.
• Failing economy — The government was constantly threatened with bankruptcy. Inflation was another reason for the fall. The Roman currency was devalued.
• Unemployment of the working class forced them to depend on hand-outs from the government. Many became bored which led to civil unrest and rioting in the streets.
• The cost of games for entertainment — Because of the unrest, thousands of the unemployed had to be amused with the gladiatorial games. The cost of the games was dictated by the Emperor and therefore the government and corrupt politicians who sponsored the games benefited the most.
• Natural disasters — There were plagues, famines, earthquakes, etc.
If some of these conditions that caused the fall of the Roman Empire are familiar to you, they should be. It took 500 years for the fall. America is only 239 years old. At the rate we are going, we are on a destructive road that will lead to our fall.
America, the most powerful country in modern times, is in trouble.
The only solution can be found in 2 Chronicles 7:14 — “If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
If you have any questions or comments, please write to Get High on Life, P.O. Drawer U, Reserve, LA 70084, call 985-652-8477 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.