Wreck, injuries rack up during high speed chase

Published 12:01 am Saturday, May 2, 2015

LAPLACE — Fortunately no one was killed Tuesday night after a LaPlace man led authorities on a high-speed chase that snaked through three parishes and included an automobile wreck.

Cory Hebert

Cory Hebert

St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff Mike Tregre said the pursuit began in St. John Parish and ended in Jefferson Parish after Cory Hebert  — who Tregre called a “very dangerous individual” — refused to stop his car.

According to authorities, the incident began at 7:19 p.m. when a 28-year-old female walked into the St. John Parish Sheriff’s Office Sherman Walker Correctional Center to report her ex-boyfriend, Hebert, had beaten her.

The victim, who authorities said wore wet clothing and only one flip-flop, sustained cuts, bruises and superficial scratches to her face, neck, hands, arms and upper torso.

According to a Sheriff’s Office release, the female told deputies she and Hebert, with whom she’s had a 12-year relationship, spent the afternoon together and got into an argument as they exited Interstate 10 at U.S. 51.

“Hebert drove north on U.S. Highway 51 to a remote area,” Tregre said.

“The victim told investigators that Hebert punched her and cut her with a knife. He dragged her by the hair out of the truck and threw her cell phone in the water.”

Authorities reported the female said she tried to escape by jumping in the water, but Hebert followed her and dragged her by the arm out of the water and back into the truck.

“As Hebert drove toward LaPlace, the victim told Hebert that she was going to report the incident to the Sheriff’s Office,” Tregre said. “Hebert drove her to the Sherman Walker Correctional Center, where she exited the truck, and he drove off.”

Authorities said the female reported the altercation and refused medical treatment.

Tregre said 911 dispatchers later received a call from a person who identified himself as Hebert.

“He told dispatchers that if deputies came for him, they had better come heavily armed,” Tregre said. “After receiving the threat from Hebert, deputies talked by phone to Hebert for nearly an hour to calm him and have him meet with deputies, but Hebert refused.

“He told deputies that he was waiting for them with a loaded shotgun.”

Through the course of the investigation, investigators learned Hebert was driving the victim’s car, a 2006 Chrysler 300, and deputies located the vehicle at the intersection of Airline Highway and Belle Terre Boulevard in LaPlace.

Authorities said when deputies attempted to stop Hebert, he fled at a high rate of speed south on Airline Highway, thus starting a chase stretching through St. Charles Parish and into Kenner.

Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office authorities said during the vehicle pursuit, a St. John Parish deputy’s car crashed into a 2003 Chevrolet Suburban at the intersection of Veterans Boulevard and Massachusetts in Metairie at approximately 10 p.m.

According to a release by the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office, the passenger of the Suburban, a 35 year-old female from Kenner, was thrown from the vehicle, and the driver of the Suburban, a 28 year-old male from Metairie, sustained minor injuries.

The female passenger was transferred to University Hospital where she underwent surgery.

Colonel John Fortunato, public information office commander for the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office, said “her injuries are not considered life threatening.”

Tregre said the two St. John Parish deputies were treated and have been released following injuries sustained in the chase and wreck.

Immediately following the wreck, Hebert continued to lead officers — as well as members of the Louisiana State Police, East Jefferson Levee District Police and Harahan Police Department — on a chase, during which he pointed a shotgun out of the window of his vehicle at a Jefferson Parish officer, authorities said.

The pursuit ended with Hebert jumping from his vehicle and fleeing on foot to the rear of a truck stop at 6005 Jefferson Highway.

Authorities said during the foot chase it is believed Hebert discarded the shotgun, as at the time of his apprehension he was no longer in possession of a weapon.

During a search of the area Hebert trekked, authorities said officers recovered the pump action shotgun.

Fortunato said Hebert was never hospitalized after his arrest and, to his knowledge, no toxicology samples were taken from Hebert.

“There was no reason to suspect he was intoxicated,” Fortunato said.

As of press time Friday Hebert remained in custody in Jefferson Parish in lieu of a $175,000 bond. He is being held at the Jefferson Parish Correctional Center on charges that include being a fugitive from St. John Parish, aggravated assault, resisting arrest by flight, aggravated assault of an officer with a firearm and domestic abuse.

Tregre said Hebert, who has an extensive criminal history that includes multiple restraining orders, would be transferred to St. John Parish at a later date to face charges that include aggravated battery, false imprisonment, armed with a dangerous weapon, simple kidnapping, aggravated flight from an officer and unauthorized use of a movable.