Update from St. John Parish
Published 6:37 pm Tuesday, January 28, 2014
LAPLACE – Temperatures at 6 p.m. Tuesday are 29 degrees and falling with winds of 15-20 mph. The onset of sleet and icy weather conditions are occurring throughout St. John the Baptist Parish. Freezing temperatures will continue throughout the night accompanied by sleet and freezing rain.
The St. John Parish Emergency Operations Center will remain activated through the night. Residents can call 985-652-2222 for questions or information or dial 9-1-1 for emergencies.
Water Consumption is at capacity and residents must minimize the use of water until further notice. All activities that require large quantities of water including filling bath tubs, washing clothes, running dishwashers and flushing toilets should be minimized.
Do not drip faucets during the day with normal activity within the home. While sleeping, a slow drip of only one faucet is recommended. If consumption is not reduced, residents will experience loss of water pressure or a complete loss of water.
POWER OUTAGES – 1-800-9OUTAGE – entergy.com
Entergy crews are stationed in the Parish should power outages occur.
EMERGENCY RADIO CHANNEL – WWL 870 AM
• Run a very slow drip on one faucet farthest from where water enters the house
• Stay off roads and stay indoors
• Plan for a three day supply of water, food and medication
• Check on elderly relatives, friends and neighbors during freezing temperatures
• Keep flashlights ready with extra batteries
• Place generators OUTSIDE to prevent carbon monoxide from entering the home.
• Bring pets and sensitive plants indoors
• Wrap and protect exposed pipes
• Dial 9-1-1 in case of emergency
1. Veterans Memorial Bridge – closed
2. Hale Boggs Bridge – one lane closed in both directions
3. I-55 northbound and southbound – closed – Old Highway 51 (low road) is open for traffic.
4. I-10 eastbound and westbound – closed between Louisiana Highway 641 (Gramercy exit) in St. James Parish and Loyola exit in Kenner. Traffic will be routed through St. John Parish on Airline Highway.
5. Louisiana Highway 3188 on-ramp to I-10 eastbound.
6. Will be closing I-10 eastbound and westbound from LaPlace to Airline Exit in Gonzales shortly.
7. Check lsp.org for road updates
Services are cancelled for Wednesday.
All schools and St. John government offices are closed Wednesday, Jan. 29.