Teekel Strikes Wildcats From Playoffs

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, May 13, 1998

Michael Kiral / L’Observateur / May 13, 1998

RESERVE – Josh Teekel made sure there would be no comeback this time by the East St. John Wildcats. The lanky, 6-5 right-hander struck out 15 while holding the Wildcats to three hits as Belaire eliminated East St. John from the regional playoffswith a 7-0 victory Monday afternoon.

Belaire, 19-9 on the season, advances to play Jesuit in the quarterfinals at Acadiana Park in New Iberia Friday. Jesuit defeated Grace King, 16-1,Monday evening.

East St. John, which had come back time and time again during the season,completed its season at 15-15.

Teekel, who improved his record to 9-3 on the season, was coming off a 15-strikeout performance in the Bengals’ bi-district victory over Ponchatoula last Wednesday. He struck out at least one batter in eachinning while holding the Wildcats hitless until Brandon Mason singled to open the fifth.

“I didn’t feel good at the beginning but as the game went on I started feeling better,” Teekel said. “I started off with my fastball and startedmixing it up as the game went on. Coach (Wynn Wingate) did a good jobcalling pitches during the game.”Belaire advanced to the state tournament last season but were eliminated in the quarterfinals.

“We want to do more than just be there this year,” Wingate said. “We wantto win a game while we are there.”East St. John starting pitcher Samson Monica (7-5) pitched out of troublein the first two innings thanks in part to his diving catch of Dan Barrow’s bunt in the first inning.

Belaire countered in the bottom of the inning as leftfielder Melweed Moore made a diving grab of Kerry Watkins’ fly ball in the gap for the third out.

In the second, Belaire put a runner at third with two outs, but Monica got Clint Summers to ground out to second to end the inning.

Belaire broke through in the third as Del Barrow led off with a single to left and stole second. After advancing on a ground out by Dustin LoBello,Barrow came in to score as Teekel singled to right field.

The Bengals added to their lead in the top of the fourth. Quentin George ledoff the inning with a single to left and advanced to second as the ball skipped past Randy Sutherland.

Belaire loaded the bases on an error by third baseman Jerome Anderson and an infield single by Queen before Summers brought George in with a sacrifice fly to right-center. William Watson then scored as Mason’sthrow went past third on his steal attempt.

The Bengals made it 4-0 in the fifth as Dan Barrow singled to center to open the inning and advanced to third on ground outs by LoBello and Teekel.

Barrow then scored as Watson grounded to the left of first base and beat Jeremy Mitchell’s throw to Monica covering the bag.

Teekel had cruised through the first four innings, striking out 11 of the first 14 batters he faced. Mason and James Brock were the only Wildcatsto reach base, drawing consecutive walks with two outs in the second.

Teekel also did it with his bat during the game, going 2-for-4 with two runs batted in.

“Josh was one of the surprises at the plate this year,” Wingate said. “Hehas done a complete job for me this year.”Mason led off the fifth with a single but was picked off first by Teekel.

One out later, Kent Roussell singled, but Teekel got Sutherland to ground out to end the inning.

Kerry Watkins got the Wildcats’ only other hit in the sixth, a single with two outs. Teekel countered with a strike out of Monica to end the frame.Belaire pulled away in the seventh against Brock, who had relieved Monica at the beginning of the sixth inning. Del Barrow walked and Dan Barrowwas hit by a pitch to open the inning.

After the two combined on a double steal, LoBello brought in Del Barrow with a single to left. Ground outs by Teekel and George brought in DanBarrow and pinch runner Darryl Jackson to make it 6-0.

Watson then reached on a wild pitch as he struck out and came in to score as Queen doubled to center field.

The game was the last for East St. John coach David Guillot who hadannounced his resignation earlier in the season. Guillot was ejected by thehome plate umpire in the fourth inning.

Guillot told the team after the game that they had a lot to be proud of, finishing their season in the playoffs.

“My goal when I took over was to leave this program in better shape than when I took over and I feel I did that,” Guillot said.

“These players are now used to top-notch competition, to winning and to being in the playoffs. The kids have accomplished a lot. “We fought hard all year and we just came up short today.”

Return To News Stories